We have a love affair with Quinoa here….we just adore it! Love the taste, love the texture and love that it’s just so good for you. The fact that we can also have it for breakfast makes it a down right perfect super food in our book!
Quinoa is actually a seed and in it’s natural state it has a very bitter coating. It needs to be thoroughly washed before cooking (keep your washing water though, you can use that to wash your Thermie, pot or dishes in afterward). It’s high in protein, is gluten free, comes in different colours and is choc-a-block full of nutrients. Luckily for us too…we can also buy Tasmanian grown Quinoa!
Click here for some nutritional info on Quinoa.
Here’s how we like to make our Quinoa Porridge both in the Thermie and on the stove top:
- Chop one apple or a pear (cored, quartered but with peel on) in your Thermie at speed 5 for around 3 seconds.
- Add half a cup of thoroughly washed quinoa (I used white), cover with 1 and 1/4 cups of water and cook on 100 degrees, reverse, speed 2 for 10 to 15 mins or until tender.
- Quinoa is cooked when tender to the bite (not mushy) and when the “tails” have shown themselves.
- Stir through your favorite sweetener (we like rapadura, honey or maple syrup) and fruit if desired.
- On the stove top – cover quinoa and a finely chopped apple or pear (grated would be great too) with water and simmer until tender.
Works jut as well without the apple…which I forgot to chop up before putting on the quinoa to cook this morning. Let’s face it, if I couldn’t chop it in the Thermie…I wasn’t going to chop it! Lol!