Blueberry Muffins...low sugar with egg free, dairy free, gluten free and low gluten options.
Author: Stephen for Natasha
Recipe type: snack, egg free, dairy free, low gluten, low sugar
Serves: 10 - 12
Well, we've been testing some combinations for you so we can bring you a muffin with options. You can try them egg free, dairy free, gluten free or low gluten....your choice. This is a low sugar recipe but if you don't find it sweet enough, just add an additional 20 - 30g of sugar. If you don't have a Thermomix just combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately and then mix together. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 100g butter or coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 egg (or 1 tablespoon chia seed soaked in 3 tablespoons of water for 10 mins)
- 180g milk (buttermilk or dairy free milk of your choice)
- 80g brown sugar (we've also used rapadura and coconut palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 250g self raising flour (or flour of your choice. We've used spelt and wholemeal spelt with the addition of 4 teaspoons of baking powder)
- 120g frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Place butter or coconut oil in TM bowl and heat for 2 mins at 60 degrees (if you're using an oil in a liquid state you can leave out this step).
- Add milk, egg (or soaked chia) and honey and mix for 5 seconds on speed 3.
- Add flour (and baking powder if you're using plain flour or spelt) and sugar and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
- Add blueberries and mix on reverse for 5 seconds on speed 3.
- Spoon (or use an ice cream scoop to transfer) mixture into a greased muffin tin (lined with paper cases if you prefer).
- Bake for approximately 15 mins until golden and springy and a skewer tests clean or with light crumbs.
The old fashioned ice cream scoop (we have two sizes) is one of our favourite utensils in the the kitchen. We use it to transfer muffin mixture and biscuit dough to baking tins and trays. It's an excellent way to ensure some consistency in size and it just makes the whole job easier.