White Chocolate & Berry Blondies (Wheat free)
Author: Stephen for Natasha
Recipe type: Snack, dessert, baking, veggie smuggling
You can tell it’s that time of year in the Northern Hemisphere when the blogs you follow and the pages you like start featuring recipes with pumpkin in them. We love recipes with pumpkin in them so for us this just provides us with a tonne of inspiration. One of our favourite blogs, Not Quite Nigella, featured a beautiful recipe that not only contained pumpkin but was wheat free as well. As we’re both trying to give wheat a miss (find out why here) we decided to give this recipe a go. It was wonderfully light, which we weren’t entirely expecting due to the ingredients, and absolutely delicious…with the added benefit of a lot of nutrition! You can find the original recipe here if you don’t want to use a processor or Thermomix.
- 70g/2.5 oz brown rice (or rice flour)
- 120g/4.24 oz caster or superfine sugar (we used ground rapadura)
- 100g/3.5 oz almonds (or ground almonds/almond meal)
- 250g/8.83 oz roughly chopped butternut pumpkin (or finely grated butternut pumpkin)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons GF baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 150g fresh or frozen berries (we used blueberries)
- 100g/3.5 oz white chocolate, roughly chopped (or chips)
- Handful of flaked almonds (optional)
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Line a 22 x 22 square brownie tin with parchment and preheat oven to 200c/400F.
- Place the brown rice in the TM bowl and mill on speed 9 for 30 seconds (it mills better if using larger quantities, which we did and then placed the excess in a jar for later use). Set aside.
- Place the rapadura (if using) into the TM bowl and mill on speed 9 for 30 seconds (it mills better if using larger quantities, which we did and then placed the excess in a jar for later use). Set aside.
- Place the almonds in the TM bowl and mill on speed 5 for 15 seconds. Set aside.
- Place the pumpkin in the TM bowl and blitz on speed 9 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat on speed 7 or until there are no chunks remaining. Set aside. No need to wash the bowl out just scrape well.
- Insert the butterfly and place the eggs and sugar in the TM bowl and mix on speed 3 – 4 for 4 mins. The mixture should look pale and thick.
- Leave the butterfly in and add the pumpkin puree, ground rice, ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon and mix on speed 4 for 15 seconds.
- Pour half the mixture into the tin and sprinkle with chocolate and berries and then top with remaining mixture. Top with flaked almonds, if using.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 30 minutes (it’s quite delicate and light) and then cut into squares and serve with icing sugar.