Making your own cream cheese is so easy that calling it a recipe seems a little fraudulent.
Not only is it easy but it’s better for you as it’s been a lot less tampered with than the commercial variety and you know what’s gone into it!
So here goes…all you need is the following:
- A tub of good quality yoghurt (preferably organic and from grass fed, well looked after and loved cows) – a lovely greek yoghurt works really well
- A sieve
- A piece of cheesecloth, muslin or a clean chux
- A bowl
Now all you need to do is the following:
- Line the sieve with the cloth and and place the yoghurt on top.
- Either knot the cloth or fasten it with a rubber band.
- Set the sieve over the bowl and leave it to drain for at least 24 hours in the fridge or at room temperature (refrigerated for a milder flavour or at room temperature for a tangier flavour).
- Give it a little squeeze every now and then to encourage the whey to drain from the yoghurt.
- When it’s drained to your liking spoon it from the cloth and store it in the fridge (for around a month).
Voila…you’ve made cream cheese!
NB: the liquid that separates out is whey, which is full vitamins, minerals and protein. You can use it for fermenting, in your smoothies or for soaking your grains.