This recipe is a Thermomix conversion for a fabulous flax focaccia bread from Elana’s Pantry. The texture is fabulous, as is the taste, and it cuts and toasts wonderfully well. If you don’t have a Thermomix you can find the original recipe here. This focaccia is best enjoyed on the day you make it. Happy baking!
- 240g (or 2 cups) flax seed (linseed) or golden flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup) – or you can leave it out…it works just as well without a sweetener
- 5 eggs
- 110g (or ½ cup) water
- 55g (or ⅓ cup) oil (we used macadamia)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- If you are milling your own flax meal, place the flax seed in the TM bowl and mill on speed 9 for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until fine.
- In the TM bowl combine flax meal, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Mix on speed 4 for 5 seconds.
- Add eggs, water, sweetener and oil and mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again on speed 5 for 10 seconds.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish (we used a lasagna dish) and smooth with the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so until a knife or skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
We’ve found that this bread stores best wrapped up in a tea towel, rather than in a container which has a tendency to make it a little doughy.